Daniel called to talk after we had heard the news story on NPR. If you didn't catch it this is the link to the story: http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=128411831. You can hear his voice and the action of a recent attack on their outpost. We discussed as much as is possible in 15 minutes time. He always talks about the great packages he is receiving and sharing with the troops at his Combat Outpost. They have received all the powder and baby wipes they need, so I removed those items from the wish list. He says the food packages are great as they go through it pretty fast.
A new photo album has been put on the brigade's facebook page. See a previous post for the directions to get to their page. There are about 152 pictures of the guys at the outpost, receiving mail, the improvised gym, a visit to the village of Ashoque, and more. Check out the troops you have been helping with packages.
Local Agfhans are building a shower facility with 10 showers, utility sinks, washers and dryers. There will even be hot water heaters!
Daniel is teasingly called the "one legged warlord of Ashoque" by some. A fellow officer told him that one way to become a warlord is to speak in third person as he did in the NPR recording saying, "...this one had Captain Luckett written all over it!"
It was strange to hear about Daniel's close call. We still trust in God's love through all we encounter. Please continue to pray for our troops.
Sunday, July 11, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I have a son 27 years old that almost enlisted a few years back, and he's also named Daniel. I am glad he's not having to risk life and limb, but for those that do, I am very proud and thankful they do. My own father was a WWII veteran, and I grew up with a great respect for people who serve. I heard Daniel's story on NPR today and sought more information out and found the blog. I was surprised they military was open-minded enough to allow him to serve - many have tried in the past and are rejected - but it was a nice surprise to hear. There appears to be many changes coming about in the last few years, more women servicing active combat, etc. Yes, many changes. Time marches on...
Post a Comment