Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Vail Sum-up and "A New Leg for Daniel"

Well my mom arrived last night and has been a little under the weather so I was told that I had to "update the blog," which I have no idea how to do so...here it goes (don't worry Mel will be back to fix my grammar edit this later).  Vail was a really good trip.  It gave me a chance to get back into the kind of activities I really enjoy.  My brother and I got a chance to go white water rafting, fly fishing, skeet shooting, and we learned how to rope a calf, well a wooden one anyway.  Needless to say, Colorado really did a good job of reintroducing me to myself so to speak and I think my brother enjoyed it as well since he gave my parents a play-by-play upon his return, thankfully saving me from the task.  
Walter Reed did seem pretty dull when we got back, but the fact that I am getting a new leg tomorrow warmed things up a little.  The leg I am currently "walking" on is although a monumental step in prosthetics, a glorified peg-leg and meant only for walking.  The leg I will get tomorrow will be for sports and is used to teach amputees how to run again as it has more energy return than the one I am currently on.  I am very much looking forward to getting back into some of the sports I enjoy, simultaneously increasing my capabilities.  I set a timetable for my rehabilitation early after my injury and this transition into the new leg represents a benchmark that I have been able to make within the original time specified.  This is encouraging for me since it means that I am one step closer to completing my time at Walter Reed and closer to getting back to my unit.  Anyway, I think that should bring everyone up to speed, thanks for all your continuing support, the letters, emails, and well-wishes are much appreciated.  Oh and my mom should be back to updating this thing soon so dont worry.

1 comment:

From The Ground Up... said...

Daniel-
Your trip to Vail sounds great!! And it sounds like you are making some wonderful memories. And, becoming quite the celebrity with all the newspaper stories :) I check your blog frequently and love hearing that you are making such amazing strides. Look forward to seeing you at Jep's graduation!

valerie